An excuse to stay up late!
Have you always wanted to know how to make those incredible night photos you see on the internet? Would you like to learn star trails and Milky Way photography? Look no further. This is the workshop made for you.
Saturday February 10, 2018.
Folly Beach, SC. (class held at the Hampton Inn and Suites West Ashley before field practice at Folly Beach)
Lodging is not included. You may stay wherever is convenient for you. No block of rooms reserved.
1:00 to 9:00
$125/person. CNPA discounts available.
We'll start with a classroom session at the Hampton Inn and Suites West Ashley. During this class, you'll see a Keynote presentation on Night Photography which will cover pinpoint star photography, how to photograph star trails, photographing the Milky Way, as well as photographing the moon, comets, satellites, and the International Space Station. I'll have examples and suggestions for light painting in the field. We'll spend some time going over the editing process for night photos too.
After dinner as a group, we'll head to the beach to photograph the night sky over the ocean. Winter is a wonderful time for night photography as we welcome skies with less heat, haze and humidity...which means less digital noise! Yay!
The moon and other celestial wonders
I'll teach you about all the tools that night photographers use to give you the best chance of viewing the phases of the moon, meteor showers, planets and satellites.
What you should know and what to bring/ this is an intermediate class.
- Digital or Film Camera with manual capabilities and a bulb shutter setting.
- A Tripod (the sturdier the better)
- A wide angle lens.
- A remote release. I prefer an intervalometer but any remote will do. At a minimum, know how to use your 2 to 5 second self timer.
- An understanding of manual exposure.
- A headlamp or flashlight with a RED light (to maintain night vision)
- Warm clothes, gloves, a hat, and toe warmers if needed. Bring hand warmers and a rubber band that can go around your lens.
- Snacks or a drink for the field. We'll be away from our vehicles for up to 4 hours.
- A notepad or tablet to take notes in class.
We'll have a discussion about twilight and take our knowledge into the field to practice just after sunset.